- Beth was discharged from the hospital today, but Iain has to stay. We weren't sure where we were going to go or what we were going to do. Iain's nurse came in at 7am and said they were moving him to a different bay in the NICU for babies who are getting ready to go home. It is a huge room with a private bathroom with shower, a pullout couch and 2 recliners - and mom and dad can room in with him for free!!!
- Iain's head measurements have remained constant so far; this is very important. Please pray that this continues and there is no sign of fluid increase.
- Iain did not have to have surgery during his first days in the world!
- Beth is recovering and healing from her surgery.
- Iain is showing no sign of the infection that Beth may have passed on to him during labor.
- Iain passed his hearing test, showing another part of his brain that is working great.
- Iain's bilirubin count is going down so he is unlikely to get jaundice.
- Iain is so hungry and is breastfeeding like a champ. His NG tube for supplemental feeding and his IV for fluids are both gone now. This is one of the things he needs to accomplish before he can go home. The nurses are amazed at his progress with this (and also amazed by how much he can eat...).
- He continues to be active and alert, crying his lungs out when he is hungry or upset; by all external signs he is a healthy baby.
- Mom and Dad have felt very well taken care of by the doctors and nurses and have been very blessed by the hospital staff.
- All 3 of us have felt so supported and prayed for by our family and friends. We have had visitors come down from Dubuque and have had many people let us know they are praying for Iain - people that we know and don't neccesarily know personally. This has been huge. For all of you that have sent us congratulations and have prayed for us - thank you!!!
Here are a few pictures from the last few days! We will keep you posted as things progress.
Iain and Daddy having some snuggle time. Notice the family resemblance!
A happy, swaddled little man.
Iain's late night visitors!
Iain spending more time with his Auntie and Uncle.